Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Shabby Chic: Small Laundry Room Makeover

As my first room redo Pinterest project, I have taken on my laundry room (if you can call it an actual room). It is located off the kitchen through a door, right before you you exit through the back door. It's small, very small. Nothing else will fit the space besides the washer and dryer. I am guessing here, but I would say it is about 6 ft long and 4ft wide. It would make for an excellent foyer if the house was flipped around, but it's not.

Here is what I had to work with. There is NO space for any kind of table, cabinets, or any kind of small furniture piece. You cannot see from the picture, but the back door is on the opposite side, so it makes it impossible to use any kind of furniture. I would not be able to open the door. The door in the picture is to the pantry.



So, when you don't have room for furniture, LOOK UP and see what you can add to the wall! I could have hung cabinets, but I'm a lil' over 5ft tall and it would just be a wasted space. I do good opening the kitchen cabinets. So, I came across this pin on Pinterest and realized a shelf was what I need.
http://www.thehouseofsmiths.com/2010/01/laundry-room-reveal-part-2-yes.html

This pin gave me a great idea! The room is so very similar to mine as you can see. However, I added my own little touches to it. I needed a shelf like this  for certain though. I would be able to add some personal decorative touches to the wall above the shelf and use the shelf for needed laundry room items.

This was another idea that came from Pinterest for my laundry room, but I wasn't so fond of the labeled blue buckets. In the final picture below, you can see what I did to simple apple buckets purchased from Michael's (I must add, I got them for 50% off).



http://katiebrownblog.com/closet-cleaning-tips/

So, I took these great pins and put them together to pull off a new Laundry Room look that wouldn't be so boring and plain.  What do you think?

This shelf is directly above the washer and dryer. These buckets make for great storage, and the items are hidden. I have dryer sheets, "unclaimed socks," stain remover, etc. in these buckets. It's a great way to conceal "junk." These are from Michael's and were the regular apple buckets. I painted the stripe in the middle of the buckets and the handles pink for an extra touch.

There is a very old iron on the shelf too. I love rustic antiquish items. This was given to me from my Dad, and boy was I surprised how much these old irons weigh. The work people used to put into ironing is just unbelievable. The laundry "garland" was from my shop. I repainted it.

I found the old window from from a thrift shop for $3. The candle sticks came from Hobby Lobby and were at one time brown. I painted these pink to match.  The candles also came from Hobby Lobby, and were yellow. I tinted them white. The galvanized watering tin came from Michael's. The flowers were from the Dollar Discount. They were white, and I added pink to them.



Love this sign I made from a piece of wood. I painted the wood, and used stencils for the letters. How I would love to wash my cares away...

For a final touch, I added an old ladder to the wall on the opposite side of the washer and dryer. I found it at a thrift shop for $3 also and painted it white. I made the sign as well with stencils. I would like to be able to hang clothes from this ladder,but I have not used it yet. It should be sturdy enough.  If not, I think I will add some pink hand towels for an extra touch.


A little rustic, a little Shabby Chic. What do you think?


The original Pin and my finished look. 


No comments:

Post a Comment